Durango-La Plata Airport Reports Record Year

February 7, 2024

Purgatory Mountain Resort is hosting an early Valentine's celebration as part of its Elevation Series. The City of Durango's reporting tool, See Click Fix, received 660 requests in its first year, with top requests ranging from abandoned vehicles to snow removal, and the city's code enforcement team responds to requests within an hour. The Durango La Plata County Airport reported a record year in passenger traffic, with an 8.7 percent increase over the previous record set in 2021, indicating growth in leisure travel, and construction on the terminal development program is underway. And we have your back for Super Bowl snacks this weekend. By Hannah Robertson. This story is sponsored by Dunkin' Donuts and Tafoya Barrett & Associates.

Learn More...

Read the Full Transcript

Celebrate Valentine's early this week with events up at Purgatory Resort, including Uncle Clyde's run and slide event. The City of Durango's reporting app SeeClickFix saw 660 requests in its first year. Durango La Plata County Airport reported a record year in passenger traffic as the expansion project got underway. And we have your back for last minute Super Bowl snack inspiration. You're watching the local news Roundup, brought to you by Dunkin Donuts and Tafoya Barrett and Associates. I'm Gillian Arnwine. The city of Durango's Reporting tool, SeeClickFix, saw 660 requests in its first year. The requests ranged from abandoned vehicles to submitting a public comment with the top requests being sanctioned camping, abandoned vehicle, potholes, and snow removal. On average, it takes the city about one hour to respond to a request, thanks to the diligence of the Code Enforcement team led by Steve Barkley. The tool is available as a mobile app or web tool and reporting an issue is as easy as seeing it, clicking a photo of it, and then the city will come to fix it. As part of Purgatory Mountain Resorts Elevation series, the early Valentine's celebration runs all this week with a variety of activities from live music to Apre Ski to a tubing competition. Come enjoy Starlight Fire and liquor tasting on February 8th, followed by ska samples on February 9th. On Saturday, February 10th, dust off your sledding skills for Uncle Clyde's run and slide, a relay race and tubing event. Pick your partner wisely to compete in a 60 or 90 minute tag team event, running up the hill and sliding back down again before passing it off to your teammate. The 60 minute heat is recommended if you're there for fun and giggles. But kick up the gear for the 90 minute race if you're feeling brave. Prizes will be awarded to winning teams as well as for best costume, team spirit, and the best cheering section. Wrap up the week of fun with live music at Purgees. 2023 marks the busiest year on record for passenger traffic at the Durango La Plata County Airport with an 8.7% increase of the previous record set in 2021. Airline traffic was also up with a 17.7% increase over 2022 when the runway was closed for 10 days for repaving. While business travel has not yet recovered from the pandemic, the increase in numbers points to more travelers coming for leisure. In 2023, United Airlines carried 51% of travelers and American Airlines carried the other 49%. The record numbers come as the construction on the first phase of the terminal development program is due to be completed in 2024. Getting prepped for your Super Bowl party this Sunday, but a few snacks short, or wondering what else to get. According to the website Gambling.com, the top picks for snacks in Colorado are chili, sandwiches, and chips and dip. Of course, that leaves you guessing what dips to get. But if you want to keep up with the rest of the Colorado Super Bowl watchers, make sure to pick up some salsa, hummus and seven layered dip. Nationally, watchers tend to go for chicken wings and fries in addition to chips and dip. Watch the San Francisco 49ers take on the Kansas City Chiefs this Sunday, February 11th at 4:30 PM. Learn more about these and other stories online at durangolocal.news. Thank you for watching this edition of the Local News Roundup. I'm Gillian Arnwine.


Need more  Local DURANGO News?

News for Locals. By Locals.
Editorial Policy | Copyright © Local News Network Inc. All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy